Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 8867296 2/2: ; python.el: Replace `eval-when-co

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 8867296 2/2: ; python.el: Replace `eval-when-compile` with `eval-and-compile`
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 21:21:30 -0400

> Often I would instrument things when debugging and get errors related to
> definitions not available at run-time, which is really annoying, and I
> have to go and eval missing definitions by hand.  This is mainly an
> attempt to leave things in a development friendly state.

OK, that makes sense.  You could leave a short note about it, but it's
probably not worth the trouble.

> Is there any obvious harm in this change?

No, it's just that eval-and-compile is internally a bit more tricky than
eval-when-compile, so I prefer to avoid it when possible (tho the
trickiness doesn't show up when used at top-level, so you're fine here).

And in this case it didn't seem to be needed, so I wondered if there was
some intricate business I was not aware of.

        Stefan