Re: Brittleness of called-interactively-p

From: raman
Subject: Re: Brittleness of called-interactively-p
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 11:14:35 -0700

I'd love to get rid of my implementation of ems-interactive-p:-)

The behavior I need is best illustrated by a prototypical use case.

When the user presses M-C-f, I want to speak the sexp you moved over.

So I achieve this with an advice on backward-sexp (around advice that:

A. remembers point,
B. Lets backward-sexp do its work
C Speaks the region between point and the saved position.

Now this advice should only get called when the user presses M-C-f -- or
if it's called by some function by doing (call-interactively
#'backward-sexp )

So in my advice -- and this is consistent in all of emacspeak's advice I
do
(when (ems-interactive-p) ...)

The old interactive-p did this perfectly.

I'm happy to go back and try interactive-p again since Stefan says the
implementations are nearly equivalent between it and
called-interactive-p.

As Drew said earlier on this thread, called-interactively-p is confusing
with respect to how it should be used, and specifically for the
emacspeak use-case, it's unclear   how one calls called-interactively-p
with respect to what args to pass it.