Re: Package initialization

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: Package initialization
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 01:29:00 +0200

On Sun, Jul 19 2015, Artur Malabarba wrote:

>> But if everything
>> is in the autoload file there's no way to get the autoload definitions
>> without changing global variables.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by this, could you clarify with an example
> scenario?

Well, SLIME has a function slime-setup that adds a hook to
lisp-mode-hook, which among other things changes lisp-indent-function
for that buffer.

Before the package stuff everybody had this in .emacs:

(require 'slime-autoloads)
(slime-setup)

Now with the package stuff the (require 'slime-autoloads) line is
unnecessary.  But additionally somebody claimed that it's idiomatic to
call slime-setup automatically in slime-autoloads.

I quite like to see the explicit call to slime-setup in my .emacs, but
others might not.

Helmut