Re: Package initialization

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: Package initialization
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 08:40:12 +0200

On Tue, Jul 21 2015, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Helmut Eller writes:
>
>  > I think we rather keep control of key bindings in our own hands;
>  > especially as we don't always agree with the Emacs maintainers
>  > (like the bindings for M-./M-, until recently etc).
>
> Since I don't know what those do in slime, perhaps you misunderstand
> my point about keybindings in lisp-mode: I meant only the keybindings
> that would allow slime users to invoke the most common functionality
> conveniently.  Then once they do that, slime-setup would be called
> implicitly, and all keybindings would become available.

Most of SLIME's commands don't work before the user creates a connection
with `M-x slime' or 'M-x slime-connect'.  Those two don't have key
bindings; so I guess your idea is not applicable.  I think it's also
more natural to enable all of SLIME's keys in lisp-mode-hook, even if
there's no connection yet, rather than as side effect of creating the
first connection.

Helmut