Re: xref and leaving "temporary" buffers open

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: xref and leaving "temporary" buffers open
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 19:15:20 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 19:07:04 +0300
>
> On 07/25/2015 06:27 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > Then perhaps there should be a command to kill all those buffers
> > created by xref for these purposes.
>
> Suppose we tag them with a buffer-local variable.
>
> What if the use switches to one of these buffers on their own accord,
> with find-file or switch-to-buffer? They might not be aware that that
> buffer was opened by xref, and would be surprised to see M-x
> xref-kill-temporary-buffers kill that buffer as well.

You could detect this using buffer-modified-tick, no?  You could also
refrain from killing any of these buffers displayed in some window, or
present in the relevant history lists.

> > OTOH, look at the example of info.el's info-apropos: it doesn't keep
> > around the Info manuals it visits.  So this is also a reasonable
> > behavior we have elsewhere.
>
> It keeps a cache of search results (and initiates full search for any
> input not in cached list). That's nice, but probably solves a different
> problem.

That's not what I meant.  What I meant was that the manuals are not
available once the command finishes, although its quite clear the
command had to visit each and every one of them.