Re: xref and leaving "temporary" buffers open

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: xref and leaving "temporary" buffers open
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 19:38:46 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 19:28:10 +0300
>
> On 07/25/2015 07:15 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > You could detect this using buffer-modified-tick, no?  You could also
> > refrain from killing any of these buffers displayed in some window, or
> > present in the relevant history lists.
>
> The tick doesn't change if the user hasn't modified the contents. And if
> the buffer is not visible just now, that doesn't mean that it's
> unwanted. Both useful heuristics, but still less than ideal, IMO.

I meant 3 devices, not 2.

And I think all of them together go a long way towards eliminating
accidental deletion of a buffer the user would like to keep.  Plus,
they can always refrain from invoking the command, if they are afraid
of losing buffers.  And if worse comes to worst, the file can be
visited again.