Re: xref and leaving "temporary" buffers open

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: xref and leaving "temporary" buffers open
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 20:03:09 +0300

On 07/25/2015 07:38 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I meant 3 devices, not 2.

I swept the third under the "not visible right now". People delete windows, we don't promise any semantics of tying buffers to windows.

And I think all of them together go a long way towards eliminating
accidental deletion of a buffer the user would like to keep.

Maybe so. But another concern of mine is that every facility that opens buffer in this way, will need to offer its own xxx-delete-opened-buffers command. And if we try to consolidate those, the result can't be too far from actually having the distinction of open vs. loaded buffers, like the cache facility proposed here.

I'll try my hand at the implementation of the latter, and we'll see if something unexpected comes up.