Re: Tooltips GC overhead

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Tooltips GC overhead
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 09:45:21 -0700

martin rudalics wrote:
Does that mean I have to recompile all elisp files?

No, just the .o files, src/temacs, src/bootstrap-emacs, and src/emacs.

Anyway.  If you do `profiler-start', move the mouse over your mode line
for a few seconds so that tooltips show up a couple of times and then do
`profiler-report' and look at the results: Can you tell me from your
report where `tooltip-show' allocates more than half of the bytes it
allocates if _not_ in `x-show-tip'?

I presume those bytes are allocated directly by tooltip-show. By "directly" I mean via a function written in C, e.g., "cons".