Re: include new package wconf.el in GNU ELPA

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: include new package wconf.el in GNU ELPA
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 21:17:15 +0200

Ingo Lohmar <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Ingo,

> I've been using my small single-purpose package wconf.el
> https://github.com/ilohmar/wconf for a while now and I am very happy
> with it.  The code is all mine and I have signed the FSF papers.  Now
> I would like to put it into an elpa for visibility --- is it ok if I
> upload it into the GNU elpa (I have commit rights)?

Then I think all prerequisites are set.

> The package does nothing but offer a simple mechanism to switch
> between different window configurations of a single frame, and to
> persist them across sessions.

Looks simple and useful.  I'll try it out when I find some spare time.
I seldomly use window configurations mainly because I don't like that
window configs also restore point and selected window.  Basically, I'd
prefer that when I restore a window config, the point values stay as
they are for all the buffers which are part of the current window config
and the one I'm switching to.  Likewise, I'd like to have the window
selected which displays the same buffer as the selected window in the
current window config in case the window config I'm switching to also
has a window displaying that buffer.  Does wconf have a knob for that?
(If not and you add one, you have a new user for sure. :-))

One comment on the code: I dislike the practice of having a normal
package name and then use an abbreviated prefix in the actual code.
wconf is a short name anyway, so IMHO there is no benefit of defining
the functions and variables with the abbreviated wc- prefix instead of
wconf-.  But there is the obvious downside of likely clashes with
private stuff from users with the initials WC.  So I'd suggest to change
that before it pops up in the package list and people start using,
configuring, and extending it.

A similar thing applies to the file where window configs are stored
which is currently window-configs.el.  I'd rather go with something
which makes the connection to your package completely obvious, e.g.,
wconf-window-configs.el.

Bye,
Tassilo