Re: include new package wconf.el in GNU ELPA

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: include new package wconf.el in GNU ELPA
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 11:56:45 +0200

> Say I have just a single window with *scratch* and point at (point-min).
> I save that window config to a register.  Now I split windows, and some
> of the windows still show *scratch*, but in there I moved point to
> (point-max).
>
> What I like to have was that `C-x r j <the-register-with-initial-wconf>`
> went back to the single-window displaying *scratch* layout but the last
> recent point value would stick to (point-max) instead of going back to
> (point-min).

IIUC you eventually go to a window that was not part of the initial
configuration and there you move `point'.  Then you restore the initial
configuration and that last movement's value is lost.

I'm afraid that want you want cannot be achieved easily.  In principle
we'd have to record for each window the last position of its buffer's
`point' at the time the window was selected together with a time stamp.
When restoring the configuration we'd have to, for the selected window,
check whether its `point' should be moved to some youngest previously
stored position.  What if the window where the last move occurred was
deleted before restoring the configuration?  What if `point' moved at a
time no window showing the buffer was selected?

martin