Re: how to turn off automatic curly-quoting?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: how to turn off automatic curly-quoting?
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2015 16:06:57 -0700

Drew Adams wrote:

Does it restore the behavior as it was - everywhere?

Yes and no. It does restore behavior for doc strings in traditional format that uses grave accent and apostrophe to quote. However, it does transliterate curved quotes in doc strings to grave accent and apostrophe, which is new. Presumably any such doc strings are recent introductions so this caveat shouldn't affect traditional usage.

This feature should be opt-in, not opt-out, IMHO.

No, let's enable it in environments where it seems to work. That's what other GNU projects do (GCC, coreutils, etc.). The new feature is disabled by default in traditional environments that can't display curved quotes; that should be good enough.

Please consider also changing the option values so that
you can use `M-x set-variable` in a reasonable way (i.e.,
without needing to know that ?` is 96 etc. - you cannot
type ?` at the prompt).  Character values are not helpful
in such a context.

Alan made a similar suggestion a while ago, and it's easy enough to implement. Done in the attached patch, which I pushed just now.

Also, why is the name about "translation"?  Shouldn't
this option just be about what style is used for quoting
Emacs terms?

That point has also been made. I changed the name to 'text-quoting-style' in the attached patch. Although it's just a name, it does have uses outside help buffers so at least the 'help' part of the name was misleading. Other Emacs packages (e.g., coreutils) use "quoting-style" but that's too generic for Emacs which has other interpretation of the word "quoting".

FWIW: The doc string of `substitute-command-keys' is
not too bad.  But I find it confusing that it refers
to "left and right quote characters" as something other
than the "quotation mark" character referred to in the
doc of `help-quote-translation'.

I don't see the confusion, quite possibly because I'm too close to the code. Suggestions for improved wording would be welcome.