Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 17:09:29 +0300

On 08/03/2015 04:49 PM, David Engster wrote:

 From what I see in project.el, this is an API for defining a set of
directories. I'm not saying that Emacs does not need such an API, but I
would not call this a "project API".

These are the traits common to most projects that we've identified so far. Ones that a third-party package will almost always be able to use.

What about things like setting up
toolchains (compiler, linker, debugger), configurations (debug/release),
support for external build systems, setting up environment variables and
pre-processor symbols, and so on?

What linker and pre-processor? Seriously, you're talking to a Ruby developer here.

What aspects of "setting up a debugger" would you consider generalizable over different project systems? Same question about "support for external build systems".

Do you need help setting up environment variables? If that comes down to editing a list, then I suppose "environment variables" could become a standard piece of project metadata. Especially if someone out there is interested in writing a env var editor.

I mean, this is the bread and butter
of projects in pretty much any IDE. Will you add this to project,el
eventually?

If people such as yourself help identify more pieces of knowledge that apply to most projects out there, I'd be happy to add them.

Otherwise, calling EDE an implementation of your generic
project API is pretty daring, IMHO.

Well, as you've put it, this is obviously false.

EDE is *an* implementation. Like some class can implement some (often small) interface. This metaphor should be familiar to a C++ programmer.

Aside from that, EDE is a project system obviously geared towards C/C++ development.