Re: Tooltips GC overhead

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Tooltips GC overhead
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 03:31:52 -0400

>> The problem is that it would slow down functions like `cons'.
> I don't see why it has to.

I don't see how it wouldn't have to ;-)

> And we could do that only when the memory profiler is invoked.

AFAICT it would require an extra test somewhere in Fcons, and that
test will always have to be performed.

> In any case, it's much better than the current useless profile.

I'm not convinced it'd make it sufficiently better to justify the cost.
I'd be OK with adding this "more precise allocation profiler" as
a compile-time option, so we could at least see if the improved
precision does make it more useful.

        Stefan