Re: cl-defgeneric vs random funcall in project.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: cl-defgeneric vs random funcall in project.el
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 23:56:58 +0300

On 08/04/2015 10:59 PM, João Távora wrote:

You can probably

(with-temp-buffer (setq default-directory DIR) (hack-dir-local-variables))
    ...)

Won't that work? I use this ocasionally for my personal horrible ad-hoc
project  managing code (that I hope to replace with project.el eventually).

I suppose. Originally, I discarded this kind of idea as too hacky, but indeed, there's value in limiting ourselves to .dir-locals.el here.

To continue this line of thought, would you say the variables should have global meaning (meaning all project backends should honor them), or should they be only used in the VC project backend?

I've been leaning towards the latter, but project-vc-ignores is a pretty terrible name, in this context.