Re: cl-defgeneric vs random funcall in project.el

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: cl-defgeneric vs random funcall in project.el
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 23:43:06 +0100

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 9:56 PM, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 08/04/2015 10:59 PM, João Távora wrote:
. Originally, I discarded this kind of idea as too hacky, but
> indeed, there's value in limiting ourselves to .dir-locals.el here.
>
> To continue this line of thought, would you say the variables should have
> global meaning (meaning all project backends should honor them), or should
> they be only used in the VC project backend?

Hmmm, you've kind of stumped me. I don't have enough context to answer.
I just cringed a bit at the idea of having to edit a different kind of
file for setting
emacs variables. I suppose you would provide something like
add-dir-local-variable, but still...

> I've been leaning towards the latter, but project-vc-ignores is a pretty
> terrible name, in this context.

Assuming my half-baked understanding of all of this is minimally
correct, I'd say "global" though. I might want to change my project
from make to cmake to something else and keep my list of ignored dirs,
right?

I wrote somewhere else that I think some kind of vision is needed
for the whole thing (a simple ASCII diagram would do for
me). Personally, I tend to like your approach and it seems to be modular
and simple, but I got lost in the details of your discussion with Stephen...

Is the general picture something like this?

                     uses              auto-picks one
                   fns from         and gets info from

  |    xref       |        |          |        |   project-vc   |
  |  M-x compile  |------->|project.el|------->|project-makefile|
  |grep-my-project|        |          |        |  project-xcode |

--
João Távora