Re: running EDE from a file that is not under a project root dir

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: running EDE from a file that is not under a project root dir
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 02:18:32 +0300

On 08/04/2015 09:13 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:

But then it uses semantic-symref-derive-find-filepatterns to get the
file patterns to pass to grep. Since I'm starting from a text-mode
buffer, that returns (*.letter *.article *.te?xt). Which is _not_ what I
want; I want *.el.

If we don't want to change too much code, I suppose xref-collect-references could bind semantic-symref-filepattern-alist to a list of one element:

`((,major-mode "*"))

Though that will search in all files. To refine it further, indeed we could make the choice based on what the project tells us.

My question is this; what is the minimum change I should make to EDE to
support these use cases?

I think I need three things:

- add a "file patterns" element to the EDE project (or target?) data
structure, and have semantic-symref-derive-find-filepatterns check that
before the alists.

That's cool, but won't help xref-find-references if EDE isn't used. A hard dependency on EDE could even break the current usage of semantic-symref-find-references-by-name in xref-find-references.

On the other hand, if we introduce project-source-file-patterns, xref-find-references could use it in the semantic-symref-filepattern-alist binding.

And ede-source-file-patterns could be used by semantic-symref-symbol and semantic-symref-regexp.

That issue aside, xref-find-references currently doesn't use project-ignores, nor does it use grep-find-ignored-directories and grep-find-ignored-files. Thought it still works reasonably quickly as long as the "uninteresting" files don't match the file name pattern we search for.

- add an ede-global-project variable that I can set to my current
project, to bypass the project root detection.

     I've proposed the same change to project.el; there, it can be used
     by one of the project-find functions.

project.el doesn't need that variable. The variable can just as well live in the package you're writing.