Re: running EDE from a file that is not under a project root dir

From: Eric Ludlam
Subject: Re: running EDE from a file that is not under a project root dir
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2015 07:51:17 -0400

On 08/05/2015 02:43 AM, Stephen Leake wrote:
>>      The EDE info manual in Emacs master mentions ede-proj-elisp.el in
>>      section 8 Extending EDE, but I don't see that file in Emacs master
>>      git.
>
>That is a piece of the large Make/Automake project system that builds
>makefiles for you.
I think you are saying the file ede-proj-elisp.el is in some CEDET
repository, but not in Emacs core? I'll go look.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

You can think of EDE as being broken into some different groups. There is project detection, for finding projects on disk, and there is 'core' EDE functionality that just manages file names, menus, keybindings and the like. There are also project implementations, such as a project for emacs, linux, and a project type that builds Makefiles for you based on meta data you provide.

ede/proj-elisp.el is part of a bigger project that creates Project.ede files. The proj-elisp.el part is for managing Emacs Lisp code in that project type, and has code for creating makefile targets.

Anyone who digs into any of the proj-*.el files will find code that starts dealing with file name patterns. These are used for building up make rules. There are some abstractions in there for 'source' files in ede/source.el for supporting that.

I suppose that infrastructure could be used to build file patterns based on your current target, but it isn't bound to other project types. I'll also guess you won't want EDE dropping Project.ede files or creating Makefiles as you go along, so some some development of EDE would be needed to start bring the concepts across between the feature sets.

Other project type also have emacs lisp targets, such as the Emacs project type. To use, just enabled ede with

(global-ede-mode 1)

And go edit some Emacs. Everything you might want to tweak that is project specific is in ede/emacs.el

You could also consider

(ede-enable-generic-projects)

to get other basic projects to start being used. It will track .el files, but doesn't have any special features for it.

Eric