Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 18:31:35 +0300

On 08/05/2015 06:23 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Again, sounds silly, given how most, if not all, modern build tools
work.

That is counter to my experience. The modern build tools work in a variety of different ways.

But (shrug) not a catastrophe: the corresponding attribute will simply
be nil, or the command to build everything.

And I don't understand what you mean here.

IOW, I see no problem here, and no reasons to consider this unfit for
the API.

It's fit. As soon as we're sure someone is going to write a Lisp program making use of this part of the API. And by "sure", I mean we have at least a proof-of-concept patch for a non-trivial piece of functionality.

I don't think you have this luxury when you work on infrastructure.

I don't think anyone here has the authority to tell me what to spend time on.

E.g., company.el is "not very interesting" for me, but I still try
very hard to fix every issue in the display engine that you or your
users report.

You don't work on adding new features to it, however.

Yes.  They are both no-brainers to have in the infrastructure that
AFAIU you are trying to provide.  It might even be much more useful to
a Lisp program that only cares about the manual of a project.

It makes sense to go for features with bigger impact first.