Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 02:25:07 -0500

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 08/05/2015 09:02 AM, Stephen Leake wrote:
>
>> Do you aggree it would be good if rgrep supported an option to use the
>> project search path? Possibly only via the command grep-project (or
>> project-grep)?
>
> I think we should have project-find-regexp (or project-rgrep) which
> uses the xref interface. grep-project will be functionally redundant.

Since they are the same function, why is the name project-find-regexp
better than the name grep-project?

The latter will be _much_ easier to discover for the current grep user;
M-x gre<tab> will show it.

The purpose of project.el is to provide access to project information to
other elisp programs; it is _not_ to provide user level programs.

'grep' is a user level elisp program that could use some project
information. If it is possible to provide user control over that via
prefixes or prompts, then the name doesn't have to change. If that's
too complicated, grep-project seems like the best choice; similar to
grep-find.

'project-find-regexp' is a user level elisp program; project.el is not
supposed to provide those.

--
-- Stephe