Re: running EDE from a file that is not under a project root dir

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: running EDE from a file that is not under a project root dir
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 03:01:03 -0500

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 08/05/2015 10:48 AM, Stephen Leake wrote:
>
>>> nor does it use grep-find-ignored-directories and
>>> grep-find-ignored-files.
>>
>> It should not use these directly; only via project-ignores.
>
> As long as we're reusing semantic-symref-find-references-by-name, we
> need some way to make it use the ignores. Probably not by making it
> aware of project.el.

Why not? that seems to fit perfectly with "provide project information
to other elisp programs"

>> I don't understand. Surely the concept "a project that is active in all
>> buffers" is independent of the actual project type?
>
> That's a trivial concept and piece of code. There's no reason to
> insist on reusing it.

There's a very good reason; there should be _one_ global variable that
stores the _one_ currently active project.

I don't care what backend provides the project; I just care that there
is exactly one.

>> If it's not in project.el, I'll have to add it to every new project type
>> I write; that will be a name conflict, at the very least.
>
> Not at all. The variable should be named according to each particular
> package it's in.

You are completely missing the point of this functionality.

--
-- Stephe