Re: Severe lossage from unread-command-events

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Severe lossage from unread-command-events
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 18:41:25 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> An element of the form (t . EVENT) forces EVENT to be added to that list.
>> This talks about a different kind of "recording", the one that stores
>> keyboard input in this-command-keys.  My changes don't touch that (at
>> least I hope they don't ;-)
>
> I'm not sure it's really unrelated.  The issue is that we don't want
> events to be recorded twice if you "replay" them (i.e. do something
> along the lines of (push (read-event) unread-command-events)).
>
>>> The code in keyboard.c is complex to a degree where I do not trust
>>> myself to venture a guess regarding the nature of the right fix.
>
> This applies to everyone else as well :-(
>
>> > recording.  Quite the nuisance.  So  I'll remove the t thing again and
>> > will see how I fare then.
>
> I think you need to use "the t thing" since your events aren't replays.

According to the DOC string, I would be inclined to think so (it's very
hard to tell what the effect of doing or not doing so would be, and it
also seems to match the actual code rather loosely at best).  But Emacs
does not complain when I don't.  And it breaks macro recording when
I do.  And nobody else working with unread-command-events appears to be
doing it, either.

--
David Kastrup