Re: Tooltips GC overhead

From: Nix
Subject: Re: Tooltips GC overhead
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 18:05:00 +0100

On 8 Aug 2015, David Kastrup uttered the following:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> The cost you're trying to defend against here is a mispredicted branch
>>
>> No, I assume the branch would be properly predicted since it would
>> always take the same path.
>
> If cons is encountered with high frequency.  But of course, if it is
> not, why bother in the first place?

In that case I have no idea what you're trying to defend against. The
cost of a single conditional and predicted branch is drowned in the
overhead of the allocation that cons has to do anyway. I'd be astonished
if you could ever see any performance impact whatsoever.

--
NULL && (void)