Re: cl-defgeneric vs random funcall in project.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: cl-defgeneric vs random funcall in project.el
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 21:07:09 +0300

On 08/10/2015 11:45 AM, João Távora wrote:

But
I agree it should be possible to implement grep-project and to get the
dirs it needs from a single interface in project.el

I see no technical obstacles there.

* For the other 5% I'll try to make the projects themselves conform to
   some other standard representation that some other project backend
   automatically understands, i.e. I would rename targets of Makefiles
   and relocate dependencies if that helped some hypothetocal backend
   (that I assume is well designed)

To be honest, I'm not sure how to better serve this use case.

Either someone will have to write another backend (or several) that target different build systems, or the VC backend will have to be equipped with a pluggable facility for reading project files.

Some combination of the two will probably turn out to be optimal.