Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 15:05:32 +0300

On 08/13/2015 02:53 PM, Nix wrote:

Quite. Given that name lookup can be literally arbitrarily complicated
in C++, the only way to get it guaranteed right there involves writing a
C++ compiler in elisp or compiler assistance -- and even that is kind of
hopeless, because of course CEDET has to routinely work with
uncompilable and only-partially-written buffers.

There are compilers written with editing and incomplete code in mind. Clang, of course, performs some at least error recovery, or else it would be useless for code completion.

(This is a fairly
strong argument *against* relying on the compiler, in fact -- we'll
always want something like Semantic, because we can tell it to be less
pedantic in its parsing, recover as much as possible from every parse
error, and so on.)

Can we?

I'm guessing Semantic has at most one level of being "less pedantic", and implementing several of them, as well as support for those in grammars, wouldn't be trivial.