Re: port x-symbol to GNU emacs 24.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: port x-symbol to GNU emacs 24.
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 17:58:22 +0300

> From: Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 14:43:30 +0000
> Cc: XEmacs Beta Discussion <address@hidden>
>
> The latest version of the x-symbol package is from 2003, but it still
> provides useful features, especially for editing LaTeX files, I have not
> seen in any other packages.

What features are those you don't see elsewhere in Emacs?  (I'm
specifically asking about GNU Emacs, not XEmacs.)

>  - eval-buffer: Symbol's function definition is void: remove-specifier
>    [2 times] `Type C-x 1 to delete the help window, C-M-v to scroll help.
>
>  - eval-buffer: Symbol's function definition is void: map-extents
>    [2 times] `Type C-x 1 to delete the help window, C-M-v to scroll help.
>
> Now both functions are built-in functions defined in C and I don't
> know how to continue. Any changes of defining an alias for a similar function
> from
> GNU emacs???

GNU Emacs doesn't have extents and specifiers.

My suggestion is to use the equivalent features provided by GNU
Emacs.  If you tell which features you miss, people here could advise
you about the replacements, either in core or in add-on packages.