Re: port x-symbol to GNU emacs 24.

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: port x-symbol to GNU emacs 24.
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 15:16:59 +0000

   > What features are those you don't see elsewhere in Emacs?  (I'm
   > specifically asking about GNU Emacs, not XEmacs.)

I think a picture says more than 1000 words, here is a screenshot. (I
hope it will not be blocked).

   > GNU Emacs doesn't have extents and specifiers.

But what would provide a similar feature? I hoped somebody on the list
could tell me.

   > My suggestion is to use the equivalent features provided by GNU
   > Emacs.  If you tell which features you miss, people here could advise
   > you about the replacements, either in core or in add-on packages.

Ok, so I have to dig more into the code or hope that somebody in
xemacs-beta could point me out what is the GNU emacs equivalent to those
functions. I still wonder how x-symbol could have worked under GNU
emacs 21, given that extents and specifiers did not exist neither for
emacs 21.