Re: Require Emacs >=24.3 for next Org versions?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Require Emacs >=24.3 for next Org versions?
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 09:13:34 -0400

  >   I haven't done a formal survey, but I know of several
  > packages on ELPA that have already cut off Emacs 23.

I am glad you told us about this.  Things are drifting in a direction
that will tend to cause problems.

Not knowing which packages those are, I can't tell whether this is a
real problem.  Perhaps they are not widely used, or not crucial to
users; perhaps the Emacs 23 users won't be unhappy that those don't
run.  In other words, perhaps the problem in its current small state
is not significant in practice.  (Though we have not ascertained
that.)

But that doesn't mean we should let this drift continue, because when
it comes to packages such as Org that many people use, it certainly
will become significant in practice.

"Other people have done it" does not mean it is a good policy.

--
Dr Richard Stallman