Re: [elpa] master b843370: * packages/other-frame-window/other-frame-win

From: Kaushal
Subject: Re: [elpa] master b843370: * packages/other-frame-window/other-frame-window.el: New single-file package.
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 13:19:13 +0000

If I do C-x 5 f, a new frame opens if needed (if I have only one frame to begin with).
But if I do C-x 9 f, the buffer opens in a second frame only if I have 2 frames to begin with. If I had just one frame open, C-x 9 f seems to do nothing. Is that by design? If not, I can debug my config.

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 5:50 PM Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>     ;; FIXME: This is basically the union of the default C-x 4 and C-x 5
>     ;; keymaps in Emacs-25.
> Is the point of this FIXME: that eventually this could replace the C-x 4
> and C-x 5 keymaps?

Good question.  I think it was a mistake.  I probably started to write
"FIXME:" because I wanted to document the problem of the "dwim"
commands, which are somewhat ugly, but then I went ahead and wrote
those dwim commands and decided it wasn't that bad.  So the end result
is a doc that isn't really a FIXME but which starts with "FIXME:".

> - Why is (remove-hook 'pre-command-hook #'ofw--reset-prefix) before the
>   'if', instead of in the else branch?

I like to write minor modes such that they always begin by cleaning up
first and then, if requested, adding what needs to be added.
I think in the case of global hooks it makes no difference, but for
a few other cases it avoids adding stuff twice or having to check
whether the mode was already enabled or something.

        Stefan