Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 09:42:07 -0700

Dmitry Gutov wrote:
You could use something like uLSQM", employed in the C code.

You mean, instead of this:

   (message "Buffer ā€˜%sā€™ is read only." buf)

we do this:

   (message (concat "Buffer "uLSQM"%s"uRSQM" is read only.") buf)

where uLSQM and uRSQM are global string constants? I did consider that, but rejected it as it would make Lisp code too hard to read and maintain. uLSQM and uRSQM are needed in C code due to C99's limitations, but at least there it is reasonably rare (fewer than a hundred uses) and C is already pretty ugly so we can put up with it. If we did the above sort of thing to Lisp we'd need to uglify thousands of uses, which would not be a good thing.

By the way I considered many other possibilities, and you're welcome to bring up other alternatives you're interested in. Maybe we can come up with something better. The point of this change is to fix a real problem, after all, not to stir up trouble.

Enabling electric-quote-mode means *all* quotes will be translated to curvy
ones in the source code one types from there on, automatically.

No, just the grave accents in strings and comments, and any matching apostrophes; this is a considerably lighter touch than what the above remark implies. Occasionally one needs to type C-q ` when one really needs a grave accent inside a string, but that's pretty rare unless one is hard-coding grave-accent quoting which is something we should be moving away from nowadays anyway.