Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 21:22:19 +0300

On 08/17/2015 07:53 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:

Although I also would prefer a simpler approach (one that consistently
uses curved quotes), you've objected to that, necessitating a "chaotic"
compromise.

"Necessitating", here, is a matter of opinion.

Insisting that Emacs developers live and work in an ASCII ghetto has
contributed to these problems, as it has led us to discount the
importance of non-ASCII editing in the real world.  (I've been guilty of
this as the next guy, by the way -- I'm not trying to cast aspersions on
anybody in particular.)  It'll be helpful to break out of these old
mindsets, and if regularly using a few non-ASCII characters in Emacs
source will help us do that, then that'll be a good thing.

The image that comes to mind, is of an odd kid who's late to a party (to which he's been invited for the first time), who wants to fit in, and to that end, drinks too much. It makes me sad.

Unicode characters are good, we should use them in text, but not in the basic syntax of the language or its environment.