Re: When was a change installed?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: When was a change installed?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 14:10:05 +0000

Hello, Richard.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 11:42:28PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

> When was the change to make lax whitespace mode the default
> installed?

It might well have been this change:

commit 63dd1c6fa45357d312e1d3076e15adacf5ed6291
Author: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
Date:   Sun Sep 2 12:31:45 2012 +0300

    Toggle whitespace matching mode with M-s SPC.
    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-09/msg00008.html

> I can't find anything in the lisp/ChangeLog* files, which run through the
> start
> of April.

We have given up updating the ChangeLogs with each change, on the
grounds that the information is in the git change log anyway.  I think
the idea is to generate the full ChangeLogs as part of the release
process.

> Was it installed after that?  If so, how can I find out when?  There
> is no ChangeLog file to search, now.

>From anywhere inside a local copy of the git repository, type "git log"
(no arguments) on a command line.  This should dump the entire log into
`less'.  You can then search within that (as I have just done).

There will certainly also be a way of getting the log from inside Emacs.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).