Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 21:09:51 +0600

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 11:35 PM, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:

> What I object to is _non-working_ characters - characters which appear
> on nobody's keyboard (see Bastien's question about typing curly quotes)
> and are problematic to display (See Eli's recent post, for example).

It’s these two problems which need fixed.

We need keyboards (or input methods) which offer a convenient way to
enter typographically correct quotes and dashes and other essential
punctuation, because otherwise people fall back to their
easier-to-enter ASCII substitutes.

We need terminals which are capable of displaying the whole repertoire
of Unicode, because otherwise we have to make a choice of the subset
we’d like to be able to see.

Making these two long-standing problems more visible is a good thing.

(As far as I am concerned, both are solved problems already. It’s just
that the solutions are not mainstream enough.)