Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 11:32:36 -0700

> On 18 Aug 2015, at 11:05, Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> And here we are in 2015, with the quote problem still only partly fixed.
>
> In 2015, people use `...`.

I work more in prose now than in code, and I’ve received numerous
complaints from editors in the last ~3 years about text that uses
that. In practice, its currently hard for me to type that exact
string, because all of the programs I use that aren’t Emacs or some
of the terminal console interfaces automatically turn it into ‘…’.

I’ve mostly given up on using Emacs for long-form prose work for
this reason (which is too bad, because the editing support for prose
is still quite good, and also long-since pushed down into muscle
memory). With all this in mind, I’ve been watching these exploding
threads with a mixture of hope and dread, because the modernization
effort would be very nice for me, but I’m seeing a lot of older
people whose opinions and efforts I respect argue for "just use
old-style ascii quotes."

I hope that helps. Thanks again to Paul for trying to push Emacs forward.
~Chad