Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 23:53:29 +0300

On 08/18/2015 09:32 PM, Chad Brown wrote:

because all of the programs I use that aren’t Emacs or some
of the terminal console interfaces automatically turn it into ‘…’.

All programs? None of the popular programming text editors do that.

You might be thinking of LibreOffice Writer.

With all this in mind, I’ve been watching these exploding
threads with a mixture of hope and dread, because the modernization
effort would be very nice for me, but I’m seeing a lot of older
people whose opinions and efforts I respect argue for "just use
old-style ascii quotes."

Since you're writing prose, the discussion should be irrelevant to you.

It's only about which quotes to use in the Emacs Lisp source files.

For inserting proper punctuation marks automatically when writing prose, you should check out http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TypographicalPunctuationMarks