Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 17:16:28 +0300

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 15:31:47 +0900
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> until a few years ago solid multilingual Unicode environments
> weren't really available (and still aren't on Windows, if I
> understand Eli's descriptions correctly)

Not quite.  Solid multilingual environments do exist on Windows, just
not for console (i.e. text-mode) programs.  GUI programs on MS-Windows
have any number of facilities for presenting fully functional
multilingual environments, and Emacs uses these facilities to a large
degree, both for keyboard input and for display.

> Emacs is the perfect environment to experiment with *discoverable*
> *multilingual* input methods.  AFAIK, they don't exist yet,
> *anywhere*.  Apple is going backwards, even.  Microsoft doesn't have
> them, either.

If you are implying that input methods don't exist on Windows, then
this is false: they do.

FWIW, I don't understand and don't share people's gripes about input
methods in Emacs.  I use them quite a lot, and actually prefer them to
whatever keyboards I have installed on my systems: the Emacs input
methods are easier to learn and modify, work the same on any system,
and there's an easy way of showing which key does what.