Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 15:45:02 +0300

On 08/22/2015 03:19 AM, Paul Eggert wrote:

Although it may not be ideal, neutral quotes are adequate typography
here,

Have you seen typographical guides allow using different kinds of single quotes in the same document? Using both kinds seems to violate typographical style, as well as GNU guidelines, mentioned recently, that mandate using appropriate quotes based on user's locale.

and are certainly better than transforming all four quotes into
right single quotation marks.

It's better than two right quotation marks, but worse than using one left and one right. So we don't need to optimize the workflow (rules, translation, electric modes, etc) for the given example.

And although Emacs diagnostics use
directed quotes to quote symbols and other code, the situation is not as
clear for quoting other things so I have been conservative and have
generally left these other quotes alone if they are neutral.  It'd be
fine with me if you were bolder and changed them to be directed.

I'd rather not become complicit in this sprawling empire of quotes, yet.

Just pointing out another inconsistency. This time it's you contemplating using different quotes for quoting different things.

Whereas it all started with "let's have good typography". The mistake, as I see it, is trying to use "real" quotes for markup in the first place.