Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 11:13:37 +0300

On 08/23/2015 07:30 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:

That is true -- but the problem case is unusual, and the harm done
when it happens is not a disaster.  Meanwhile, it is not clear how to
solve the problem 100%.

One of the ways to solve it is not to introduce it in the first place.

We know how to do quoting that is reliable.  print does that for strings.
But that looks bad in these error messages.  Do we really want to make them
ugly in .1% of the cases to avoid ambiguity in .001% of the cases,
which will confuse the user in only .00001% of the cases?

I don't consider using a format sequence to be ugly. And we're talking about an issue of correctness here.

That would happen only if you're trying to parse the output and use
the result, and that seems like bad practice to me.

`format' is routinely used for string manipulation.