Re: How to opt out of curly-quote spamming altogether?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to opt out of curly-quote spamming altogether?
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 20:25:08 +0300

> Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 10:06:31 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > > That's horrible.  Users should be able to control this, easily.
> >
> > Why?  We don't have easy controls for displaying one character as
> > another.  Why should these characters be different?
>
> This is not about "displaying one character as another."  It is
> about choosing how to present inline code fragments.

But an Info manual uses the quotes not only in code fragments, it uses
them, for example, when defining new terminology and when describing
keyboard input.

> It is not about substituting for literal curly quotes everwhere, as
> I made clear.

I'm sorry, but nothing is clear about what you described.

I should probably stop replying, as my attempt at helping you is
quickly slipping into another annoying discussion, where you hold me
responsible for some crime I didn't commit.

> > > I don't see this problem in a Windows binary from 2014-11-30.  The
> > > regression was apparently introduced to the Windows builds between
> > > then and 2014-12-29.
> >
> > It's the question of which version of Texinfo was used for producing
> > the docs.  The defaults in Texinfo changed recently, independently
> > of Emacs development.
>
> Defaults?  So Emacs has a choice?

_Texinfo_ defaults.  Not _Emacs_ defaults.

> > > A display-table hack would presumably change all uses of a curly
> > > quote.
> >
> > A display table can be specific to a buffer or a window.  See the
> > ELisp manual for more about that.
>
> I don't see how that would help anyone.  It's too late, once the
> curly quotes are hard-coded in the output.  There is no reasonable
> way for a user at that point to tell Emacs which occurrences
> represent presentation of inline code and which really belong
> as literal curly quotes.

That's what I said to begin with, didn't I?

> > But it was you that asked for a switch that changed them
> > _everywhere_, which is why I suggested standard-display-table,
> > which is global.
>
> Disingenuous.  You know full well what I'm talking about

Actually, no, I don't.

> > What is "code-'quoting'"?  An Info manual is not code, it's mostly
> > text, but you still wanted these characters changed there.
>
> The use of `...' has primarily been to set off inline code fragments
> from the surrounding text.
>
> It has also been used sometimes for URLs, file names, and some links,
> but those uses are arguably inappropriate.

And I was supposed to guess what is and isn't appropriate how?
Shouldn't you have explained that to begin with, instead of getting
mad at my "dis-ingenuity"?

> Use whatever phrase you like, but you know, I think, that I am
> referring to the replacement of `...' by wrapping with curly quotes,
> and only that.

Even that is used for more than just code snippets.

Anyway, I'm outta here.