Re: Supporting multiline Package-Requires header

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Supporting multiline Package-Requires header
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 07:44:08 +0200

Artur Malabarba writes:
> From what I've been gathering (do correct me if I'm wrong), it sounds
> like this issue stems from wanting to use GNU Elpa to release org
> snapshots.

Org snapshots are yet a different thing and trace the master branch.

> You want your version numbers to be updated every day, and you need
> that because you want to always deliver the very latest commits.

The maint branch is for bugfixes between releases, so the ELPA package
is for people that want releases plus bugfixes.

> However, the Gelpa reporistory is really more designed to deliver
> proper releases, not snapshots. Which is why its release system is
> based on when you bump the version number (which people usually do on
> a specific commit when they decide to release).

That's the design problem, it should really be based on tags instead.
Among other things, it allows you to release a version further down the
history, after proper testing, when (likely someone else) has already
added new commits on top of that already, which is common in distributed
development.

> That said, I'm not here to tell people they're "doing it wrong". And
> I'm very sympathetic to org.
> So, if you guys find that any solution on org's side would be "a
> horrible hack", I can put some effort into making Gelpa's "tiny hack"
> a little smaller.

We can cope, I just need direction as to what the decision is.

Regards,
Achim.