Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 21:25:17 -0400

> Thanks, this sounds like a good suggestion.  We couldn't do this earlier,
> because changing ‘format’ in this way would have too many compatibility
> issues, but now that we have split ‘format-message’ out, the basic idea
> should work and should lessen the hassle of converting messages.  It also
> should mean that we don't need %< or %> or even %q.  I'll look into it.

IOW, we don't need format-message at all.  Instead we can just have
a "prettify" function which can be used on the output of `format' (or on
any other string we like) and which uses some heuristic to turn `...'
into its ‘...’ equivalent.
I'm not sure I like the idea of a heuristic, but it does sound better
than an "almost like ‘format’ but different".

        Stefan