Re: fill-paragraph ill designed

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: fill-paragraph ill designed
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 14:40:05 +0200

Andreas Röhler <address@hidden> writes:

>>> What would prevent switching the clauses as suggested?
>> IMO, it makes completely sense that `fill-paragraph' delegates to
>> `fill-region' if the region is active so that not every mode-specific
>> `fill-paragraph-function' has to do that on its own.
>
> Let's assume region is up to or inside a documentation-string in
> Python.
>
> Then fill-region will be called instead of fill-paragraph-function.
>
> But how should fill-region get access or know about Python docu-string
> styles?

`fill-region' would utilize `fill-forward-paragraph-function' to move
over the paragraphs in that region and call `fill-paragraph-function' on
them.  Then you as a mode author are free to define what a paragraph in
python means and how to properly fill it, e.g., every function
definition is a "paragraph", and when filling a paragraph, your
`fill-paragraph-function' actually only fills the documentation string
of the function.

Bye,
Tassilo