Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 10:47:39 +0200

On 2015-08-28, at 10:38, Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:

> Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Rasmus wrote:
>>> Can the syntax class be a function of surrounding characters (e.g. is
>>> whitespace surrounding the characters)?
>>
>> That wouldn't work for classical Latin, e.g., in "AVGVSTÓ·SACR" the
>> "·" is not a letter even though it is surrounded by letters.
>>
>> In general, whether a character is punctuation or a letter depends on
>> the language.  "·" should be punctuation in English, arguably a space
>> in classical Latin, and a letter in Catalan.  Is Emacs flexible enough
>> to do that now?
>
> But then you need to declare the language.  This is a buffer property.  In

Not really.  You seem to assume that no multilingual texts exist.  For
example, I work with texts containing parts in multiple languages
(usually, but not always, only two of them) on a daily basis.

OTOH, one might assume that they are properly marked up, e.g. in LaTeX.
(This is not always correct, but I might want to pay the price of
additional markup in such a case.)

> Rasmus

Best,

--