Re: text-quoting-style

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: text-quoting-style
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 15:59:59 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 10:54:41AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> [...]
> > Paul's assertion I have just confirmed.  Unless I've missed or
> > misunderstood some development in the last two months or so, the need for
> > `text-quoting-style' still exists: if we're going to be doing clever
> > things to make ` and ' get converted, or appear to get converted, into
> > curly quotes, then a user must be able to enable/disable this conversion.

> That doesn't answer the question of why we need text-quoting-style.
> Instead what I take from your argument is that "if we do what we do,
> then we need text-quoting-style".

We're thinking at cross purposes, somehow.  I'm not clear how my anser
was inadequate.

But...  Have you read my answer to Paul,
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 18:28:54 +0000
?

Let me try again: the flag text-quoting-style enables a user to control
the handling of the curly quotes in her Emacs.  In particular, it allows
her to disable these, independently of other settings, or the
environment.  Trying to control curly quotes by some setting of the
locale is inadequate.

I believe such flexibility to be needed.  The flag would not be needed
if Emacs were to continue handling its quoting in its traditional
manner.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).