Re: text-quoting-style

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: text-quoting-style
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 09:27:18 -0700

Alan Mackenzie wrote:
It's what Emacs does now, and it works well enough.  And the basic idea
>isn't a new principle: Emacs has done it for decades for many ASCII
>characters, e.g., HT.  So it is not a problem in practice.
It will be a problem in practice.  It will by lying about what character
in the buffer the glyph on the screen represents.

Again, there's nothing new here: Emacs has been "lying" in that way for decades for HT and for several other ASCII characters, and it works in practice.

  It will be ambiguous:

That's easily enough fixed. I installed the attached patch, which uses shadow glyphs for quote substitutions in ASCII-only displays. If you prefer underline or some other glyph face on your console please feel free to change the code.

text-quoting-style doesn't do anything for info files, or
for other text files containing curved quotes.

That's an argument for an additional facility for Info

The additional facility I proposed would work for info, and would also work for *Help* buffers and diagnostics and would render text-quoting-style unnecessary.