Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/internationa

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/international and lisp/leim
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 22:34:11 -0400

> That would undermine another stated goal (by Paul): improve the typography
> in Emacs.

I think this goal should have very low priority.

>> But if we start using curly quotes everywhere, then we're back with the
>> ambiguity, so that's not a good solution.
> So what's the exact ambiguity that you have in mind? Code references or
> snippets vs. everything else like key sequences?
> Then I definitely misunderstood you a while back.

W.r.t ambiguity, the main problem I see is that we currently can never
be sure that when we see a ` followed by a ' the two actually form a pair.
A human usually can tell, but a program can't get it right 100% of the time.

> We might also want to support code snippets like `(progn (foo bar foo))'.
> At least, elisp-completion-at-point relies on snippets being quoted
> that way now.  We can detect these using paired parens.

Not sure I want to go down that road.  What about `(foo 'a 'b)' ?
AFAIK it's not very common (yet?) to quote code that way, and I'm not
sure we want to get into the habit of quoting it that way.  I could see
the need/advantage of quoting code reliably, but I don't think `...' is
a good way to do it.

        Stefan