Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/internationa

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/international and lisp/leim
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 00:07:03 -0400

> Just to emphasize that `...' quoting is not at all ugly on my terminal -
> in fact, it's rather elegant.

Indeed, the font I see in my Linux console renders them OK
(pre-XFree86-4 style), but I think you're sadly in a minority.

> However, using curly quotes is problematic.  I run on a Linux
> virtual terminal.

Curly quotes render just fine in my Linux console.  So it looks like
you're in an even smaller minority.

> So, PLEASE can we have adequate configurability, so that the user can
> decide for herself what's ugly, and whether it needs "fixing".

My request here is to figure out what *kind* of configurability is best.
Not whether configurability is desired.  But you're not very forthcoming
with information about the concrete problems you see with curly quotes,
so we're likely not going to be able to provide the best kind of
customizability for you.

        Stefan