RE: `char-fold-table'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: `char-fold-table'
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 09:05:12 -0700 (PDT)

> > So here we are now, with char folding.  Great.  So can
> > we now consider facilitating users defining their own
> > classes of characters?  Or making it easy for them to
> > modify the default equivalence classes?
>
> My thoughts are still focused on ironing out some issues. But this
> is a fine time to start suggesting ways to make it customizable.

Agreed.  I hope folks will participate and think creatively
about this.

> > Making `char-fold-table' a defconst seems wrong.  What's
> > the right way to enable users and code to customize such
> > things?
>
> In the very least we can rename the current table to
> character-fold-table-default, and make let the user change
> character-fold-table if desired.
> We can also offer more alternatives besides the current default, but
> it would be better to give users a good way to define classes.

Yes.  That first change could be done now, hopefully.

I'm not sure we need to come up with more alternative tables.
A simple example in the manual of how to do that yourself would,
I think, be sufficient (and necessary).  With time, perhaps some
additional "standard" tables would come into being, but I don't
see the need for trying to come up with such things now (and
maybe never).

> > Yes, I know that the doc for this feature is still to be
> > written, and that this the feature is still a work in
> > progress.  But let's please progress it - in the direction
> > of more and better info for users and helping users modify
> > and extend the behavior.
>
> This, along with ironing out the kinks, is my priority for this
> feature. However, I'm writting my thesis right now so I won't be able
> to do this for another couple of months.
> Of course, if anyone would like to contribute documentation that would
> be highly appreciated.

Understood.  I will try to look over whatever doc is proposed -
hope that helps.  And thanks for this feature - (1) it's very
useful, and (2) more importantly, it has great potential.