Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/internationa

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/international and lisp/leim
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 17:23:45 +0000

Hello, Paul.

On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 09:32:42AM -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > Using my  standard font, lat1-16, the curly quotes use the same glyphs as
> > ` and ', hence are visibly indistinguishable from them.

> That's no longer true as of yesterday's master commit
> 1a3518e7c361a9ceaa017c1334a83d14e0651a4e.

I'm afraid it is still true.  After doing a C-h f c-mode, apparent
quotes were in the buffer.  Checking them with C-u C-x =, they were
indeed curly quotes, but were displayed the same as ASCII quotes.

> On a terminal that cannot display curved quotes, ...

Currently, my terminal is not such a one.  It _can_ display curly
quotes, but only identically to ASCII quotes.  `char-displayable-p'
returns 'unicode for them.

The issue is not so much whether a terminal can display curly quotes,
rather it's whether a user wants them to be used or not.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).