Re: Expansion of #$ in byte-compiled files

From: Michael Mauger
Subject: Re: Expansion of #$ in byte-compiled files
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 01:46:39 +0000 (UTC)

> On Thursday, September 3, 2015 5:51 PM, Kalle Olavi Niemitalo
> <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Michael Mauger <address@hidden> writes:
>

>>  because of the following generated line in the package autoloads script:
>>
>>    (add-to-list 'load-path (or (file-name-directory #$) (car
> load-path)))
>
> I expect that (file-name-directory load-file-name) would avoid
> the problem.>

Yes, using`load-file-name' might avoid the problem but the package installer
generates the #$ syntax so I have no direct control of it.

Ken Brown was correct that the autoloads.el files have a `no-byte-compile: t'
entry in their Local Variables section, but the package installer is still byte
compiling the files.  I think the placement of some ^L are interfering with the
proper parsing of that section.  The good news is that it is not happening in
the master repository, only on my 25.4 Cygwin instance.  I have added a snippet
of code to delete any *-autoloads.elc files in the package tree before I
initialize the package system and that avoids the problem.

I checked my latest GIT version on Linux and confirmed it has no compiled
autoloads and installing new packages was not creating them.  I then double
checked the update of existing packages and installation of new packages did
compile the autoloads on my W7/Cygwin install.

My problem is fixed and hopefully future users of 25.4 will understand the
problem if they encounter it.  Feel free to ask me anything that might help
further debug the issue if you'd like; but, again, it does appear to be fixed.