Re: yes-or-no-p prompt conditionally broken in master?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: yes-or-no-p prompt conditionally broken in master?
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 12:02:42 +0300

> Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 19:43:25 +0100
> From: Artur Malabarba <address@hidden>
> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>, Brief Busters <address@hidden>,
>       Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,
>       Drew Adams <address@hidden>, Kaushal Modi <address@hidden>
>
> >> 2. User preferences vary.  Some users never want to respond to
> >> a `yes-or-no-p' prompt.  That's their choice.  It should be easy
> >> for them to express their choice and have Emacs respect it.
> >
> > But if (1) is not enough, then I think we should fix the rest
> > of the use cases via a user option that redirects yes-or-no-p to
> > y-or-n-p.  Requesting us to drag on with supporting such defaliases is
> > an unjustified maintenance burden.
>
> I agree with any solution that makes it possible. Be it user option or
> whatnot.

Does anyone see a reason why we even have 2 functions, instead of just
one that can either accept a single character or a string?  Let alone
why yes-or-no-p is implemented in C, while y-or-n-p in Lisp?

Any objections to removing yes-or-no-p (with a defalias for backward
compatibility, of course) and making y-or-n-p serve both duties,
controlled by some defcustom?